Monday, February 17, 2014

Parable for Success


Frick vs. Frack
___________________

The nick-names Frick and Frack originate from a famous 1930’s comedic ice skating couple from Switzerland.  However, in modern day urban slang, Frick and Frack often refer to a pair of individuals who are generally well known for being ordinary.

Perhaps in an attempt to demonstrate the long-term value of a good education (and patience), my father borrowed these names and wrote a very short story about twin brothers Frick and Frack.  As you would expect, their childhood and adolescent years were very similar.  However, when it came time for college, they chose very different paths, and the long-term ramifications are evident. 

Before you read the story and accuse it of being too stereotypical, consider there are exceptions to any rule.  I have personally met many successful people who never set foot in an educational institution after graduating high school.  Conversely, I have met some who have struggled mightily throughout life, despite numerous educational achievements. 

However, I inherited my father’s firm belief in education.  Though it took him a long while and many attempts to earn his Bachelors degree, he made up for it by earning his PhD in Instructional Design in record time.  He was the first college graduate in his entire family line, and there has already been many in the family who have followed, or are currently following, in his footsteps.  I am grateful for the example he set for me and my 8 siblings.  I remember asking him for guidance when I was trying to decide if I should enroll in a post-graduate program after receiving my Bachelors’ Degree.  His response was simple – “you can never go wrong with education”.  I enrolled! 

Dwight & Linda Laws, and their 9 children (taken in 2004)
 

Please allow me to share his story of Frick and Frack.
 
 
****************************************************************************************
 
FRICK & FRACK
By Dwight Laws
 
In the small town of Averageville were two twin brothers, Frick and Frack. As preschoolers they were inseparable and amused themselves endlessly exploring the neighborhood and surrounding forests of the county. Often it seemed that they only came home for food and to sleep. The citizens of Averageville viewed the two boys just like any other boys. They were average.

In elementary school they were reasonably good students, courteous, bright, but often distracted. They were so average that no special attention came their way. 

When they went to middle school they continued to pass all of their classes with a straight “C” average. On the school teams they were neither the stars nor the bench sitters—just average.

In high school they participated in a few extracurricular activities but were not standouts. They were accepted but not praised nor ridiculed, just average. Again they achieved straight “C” grades. Finally they graduated high school and both enrolled in a small community college in the next town of Normalville. Frick and Frack continued to excel at mediocrity.

After they had completed their first year of school Frick enrolled in classes for the next year, but Frack decided not to enroll. 

“I’m tired of being average and normal,” he said. “I’m not signing up for another class! Tomorrow I’m going out to get a job and make some money.”

Frack got a job and started to work.  Frick patiently went to his classes.

Soon Frack had enough money from his job and bought a car.  “Hey Frick, want to drive up to Canada with me for a couples of days?”

“Can’t, I’ve got classes.”

“Suit yourself.” 

Frack went to Canada.  Frick patiently went to his classes.

Frack dated a lot.  “Hey Frick, want to go out Friday night? I’ve got this cool blind date for you.’”

“Can’t, I’ve got to study for classes.”

“Suit yourself.”

Frack went on a fun date.  Frick went to his classes.

Frack called Frick. “Hey Frick, a bunch of us are going to the beach for three days.  Want to come? It will be a blast.”

“Can’t, I’ve got classes.”

“Suit yourself.”

Frack went to the beach.  Frick went to his classes.

And so it went. Frick would go to his classes and Frack would have fun. For three more years Frick patiently went to classes and Frack had a blast.

One day a man came to town representing a large successful corporation. He hired Frick and gave him a wonderful salary. Frick bought a new house and two sports cars. He called Frack.

“Hey Frack, want to take a three day trip with me in my new sports car?”

“Can’t, I’ve got to keep working. I’ve got bills to pay.”

“Suit yourself.”

Frick went to Canada.  Frack went to work.

Frick dated a lot.

“Hey Frack, want to go out Friday night? I’ve got this cool blind date for you.”

“Can’t, I’ve got to go to work. I’ve got bills to pay.”

“Suit yourself.”

Frick went on a fun date.  Frack went to work.

Frick called Frack. “Hey Frack, a bunch of us are going to the beach for three days. Want to come? It will be a blast.”

“Can’t, I’ve got to work. I’ve got bills to pay.”

“Suit yourself.”

Frick went to the beach.  Frack went to work.

And so it went for the rest of their lives. Frack had to work constantly and Frick got lots of vacation time.

Frick and Frack.
Frick and Frack.
Frick was patient.
Frack was slack.
Frick moved forward.
Frack slid back.

Frick and Frack.
Frick and Frack.
Frick was patient.
Frack was not.
Frick got rich.
Frack got squat.

Frick and Frack.
Frick and Frack.
Frick was patient.
Frack a hack.
Happy Frick.
Poor ‘ol Frack.
 
 
___________________________________________________
 
 
R. Dru Laws is Vice President of Seljan Company in Lake Mills Wisconsin, the Chair of the ARM (Association of Rotational Molding) Education Committee, a member of the ARM Board of Directors, and a global contributing editor to RotoWorld Magazine. Dru has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Brigham Young University, and an MSc in Polymer Engineering from the Queens University of Belfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment