Monday, June 16, 2014

Respectful Punctuality & Punctual Respect


When I was 13, while walking down the hall of our school, I bumped into the High School football coach, literally.  I must have made some kind of sarcastic remark to him, because his response to me is something I’ve never forgotten.  “Laws, you’re not going to like playing football for me with that kind of attitude.”  I’m sure I snorted at him and said something like, “whatever” as I walked away. 

Two years later, during tryouts, I still hadn’t forgotten our little conversation.  Neither had he.  In the following 30 seconds I learned two life lessons that I have never forgotten.  The coach walked up to me, looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Young man, my name is Coach or Sir!  And if you’re not five minutes early, you’re LATE.  YOU GOT THAT?” “YES SIR!” was my response then, and always has been from that moment forward.  Each time I heard him yell “Laws”, it usually meant more running, pushups, or other forms of training that a coach can devise to get their players into shape.  But that voice, his inflection, his tone have been forever burned into my head. 

I am now 48 years old and I have strived to live by the following two points my whole life, though I have admittedly failed at it more often than I can count.  Nevertheless, I have indeed tried. 
  1. Give respect where it is due, and
  2. Never be late. 
I may not have any quotes from current leaders to illustrate my point.  And I can’t tell you what books to read on the subject for further research.  I can’t quote any applicable songs or poems either.  But what I do have is numerous experiences that reinforce these principles.    Allow me to share just one:

I am a superintendent for a commercial builder and part of my job is to ensure that the subcontractors build to the specs provided by the architect, and do it per the schedule.  Knowing a bit about each of the building disciplines helps greatly.  It’s not always necessary, but being able to “speak” the language of builders is nice. 

Years ago, I was asked to run a job in southern Utah.  I was to oversee the construction of 16 buildings on 8 acres ... consisting of duplexes, 4-plexes, 12-plexes, 24-plexes, and one club house with a pool.  One of the more critical jobs that I had was scheduling inspections.  Usually 3 or 4 inspections were necessary each day.  The city procedure was to have all inspections called into the office by 2 pm each day in order to have it scheduled for the following work day.

I had made it a point to get to know the woman in charge of inspections at the city offices.  My goal was to get her to smile at me.  It took several weeks but eventually she and I became friends.  I would take her a diet coke with a twist of lime every time I would visit the office, and I always responded to her with either a “Yes Ma’am” or “No Ma’am”.  One day at the closing of the work day, I realized that I’d forgotten to call in the next days' inspection for a big underground compaction test.  I would NOT be able to pour concrete the next day without this inspection.  So I made the call.  “I know I’m late with this call but is there any way you could help me out? “  She responded “let me see what I can do.”  I heard her rustling some papers and then she said to me, “Roger, an opening just became available”.  As much relieved as I was surprised, I politely thanked her for her efforts before ending the call. 

I didn’t find out until much later how that opening had just appeared.  I was delivering the diet coke when a different office employee pulled me aside to tell me the rest of the story.  “Roger, she must really like you.  The other day when you called in your late inspection request, I watched her walk over to the pile of requests, rifle through them, grab one of the pieces of paper and say under her breath, ‘I really don’t like this guy’, and then put your request in at the head of the line.” 

I stood there stunned.  I can tell you, I certainly never missed a delivery of diet coke from that day forward.  I’m not convinced that it was the drinks that got me my last-minute inspection, although that helped I’m sure.  It was the continued respect that I gave her.  I believe that this kind of courtesy is so foreign these days that people just soak it up when it is given.  I really believe that.

Several years ago my wife and I were shopping in one of those super stores filling up our cart when we passed an elderly gentleman and his wife.  I didn’t think anything of it until I heard from around the corner, “LAWS!?”  My body tensed up and a small bead of sweat instantly ran down my back as I said, “YES SIR!”  It was great to see the man that had taught me the meaning of respect and punctuality.


___________________________________________________


Roger D. Laws is a Commercial Construction Superintendent.  He has been a builder for the past 30 years.   His completed projects include many homes and basements, a Walgreens, a dentist office, a rehabilitation center, a community living center and many others.  He is an avid motorcyclist; touring most of the western half of the United States.  Father of 6 children and one son-in-law.  Roger has a B.S. in Technology Management from Utah Valley University.


No comments:

Post a Comment