Thursday, January 14, 2016

I have to - I want to - I love to

A methodology for hiring the best team

My wife and I were recently out to dinner with some friends. The conversation was stimulating and enjoyable and the entire evening was a nice diversion from life.  During our conversation our friend expressed how much she loved to run.  She’s been an avid runner for years, participating in marathons, half marathons and other local events whenever possible.  What piqued my interest was the term, “love to run”.  This phrase is completely foreign to me.  Although I’ve enjoyed participating in athletics my entire life, I can honestly say that the phrase, I love to run, has never fallen from my lips.


Over the years I’ve had the opportunity to interview hundreds of applicants for dozens of job openings.  Early on, I used the methods and programs outlined by HR professionals and company policies.  I quickly learned that this was getting me employees that were, no doubt, qualified to do the job, but left me wanting, in many situations, for an employee with fire and vision.  Sure, they completed their tasks, but often they clocked in at 8am (more like 8:15) and clocked out at 5pm (strange how they never stayed 15 minutes late). 

I quickly learned that I was getting the outcomes I was hiring for.  I was hiring people that were talented and could do their job and I got those people.  The only problem … in most cases, they were doing it because they had to; at best, because they wanted to.  I had talented people, but not passionate people.  I had qualified people, but I didn’t have thought leaders.  I had good employees but I didn’t have great employees. 

During one particular interview, I had that “ah ha” moment.  The applicant used the term, “I love to do this”.  I paused for a few moments (In retrospect, I feel bad for the applicant.  She probably thought she said or had done something wrong) and finally, I said something I’ve never said before in an interview…. “you’ve got the job!!!”

What had I done!!!!  I didn’t even validate her qualifications fully.  Sure, her skills and history were on the resume, but I didn’t quiz her about them.  I just knew that she LOVED to do what I was hiring for.   After a few months, I learned that I had made the best hire of my career.  She was passionate, talented and loved her work. She’d clock in early and leave late.  She was driven and didn’t need to be “managed”; guided, sure. But not “managed”.

Since that time, I’ve tried to use the methodology of “I have-to, I want-to, I love-to”:
 
  1.       I find out what the applicant is passionate about; find out what they love
  2.       I test for qualifications.  This should only be done if someone loves what they do, or at very minimum wants to do it. 

If someone states that they are a runner – they clearly love it (like our friend).  Sure, others can say “I run” (like me) but it’s usually because we have to or maybe want to.  I run, but I am no runner.  Runners LOVE to run.  Coders love to code.  Clerks love to clerk.

The next time you are interviewing a candidate, set aside the resume and skills test and ask questions that help you understand what they are passionate about.  If they are passionate about what you’re hiring for, then quickly double check their skills, but only to confirm they are a good fit.  This will make you look like a genius in the future.  Your hires are much more likely to shine than that of other departments.  You'll be hiring passion, they’ll still be hiring skillset and qualifications.  

Focus on those who LOVE TO – keep and encourage those that WANT TO, and avoid those who HAVE TO.

___________________________________________________


DuVall J Laws is the Sr. Director of Information Technology at Partners In Leadership. DuVall has managed in the Insurance, Banking, Healthcare and Leadership Training Industries.  DuVall holds a B.S. in Information Systems from Utah Valley University and an M.B.A from the University of  Redlands.

5 comments:

  1. Thought provoking article! Very informative and I liked it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% agree! How cool would it be if everyone in the organization loved to come to work every day and loved what they did!

    ReplyDelete